Monday, January 5, 2009

Self-Portrait as a Doofus

Here is a self-portrait sketch of me as a doofus. Actually, this is pretty much my usual look, slightly confused and a little oblivious. In truth, I'm not either of those things, at least not any more so than anyone else, I just look like I am. It also looks like there is a straw in my drink, but that's actually a cigarette, and let me say, just in case you haven't heard the news: smoking is a filthy, expensive and dangerous habit. I am down to 3-5 a day (cigarettes, not packs) and I plan to quit by January 20th, which of course will be inauguration day for my man, Obama. It was a deal I made with myself, that if he were to be elected, I would quit smoking.

On January 1st, here in Oregon, a law just went into effect that bans all smoking in all public bars. For the most part, I quit drinking quite some time ago, but I did like to go into a seedy tavern on occasion, and have a smoke over a Canadian Whiskey (which used to be called Rye back in the day), or a vodka & cran, or even just a soda water with lime. I was going to do it one last time before the end of the year, but it sneaked up on me like a pair of bargain house knickers, and before I knew it, it was too late. Now I guess my only chance is to go to another state, or make a shit load of money, by a house and put a bar in the basement where I could smoke, at least for now. You never know what laws the government will pass, sometimes I think they do it just to spite me. Anyway, it sounds like an awful lot of work for a smoke, might be less trouble to quit.

No comments: