Monday, July 6, 2009

Post # 75: The Big Beer Baby


As I mentioned not too long ago, I have been going through some old files and whatnot, and came across this colored pencil sketch. I'm really not sure how to categorize this one, it is either the beginning of the end, or the end that became the new beginning. Sounds a bit complicated, doesn't it? Well, basically a few years ago I was working in a quiet family oriented brew pub, which was kind of like a restaurant that focused on hand crafted ales. On one particular evening I cut a friend off and pulled his beer, because he had had way too much to drink. He was getting loud and belligerent and was dropping F-bombs left & right. Evidently, cutting The Beer Baby off and pulling his beer gave him full license to throw an incredibly childish temper tantrum, which was then followed by a shockingly bad display of poor management skills on the part of the manager on duty that night. Later, when informed of the situation, the actual pub manager's apathetic, feeble response told me it was time to get out of the restaurant business and follow my artistic dreams. It has not been an easy path, and I've made mistakes along the way, but I have no doubt that I am better off now, than if I would have stayed. I also know that I'm going to be okay, and that I'll make it.

Oh, back to the sketch, it was well over a year after the fact that I heard through the grapevine that he was still threatening to get me back. So, in honor of his profound douchebaggery, this is a sketch I did of The Big Beer Baby shortly after the incident. I also have a couple I did of the manager on duty, but for legal reasons I don't think I should post them.

-Cheers!

No comments: